Tibet : Chinese Police Publicly Threaten to Torture Tibetans
A police poster threatens to punish residents of Gan Lho Prefecture with violent beating and torture.The announcement, which was posted in streets across Gan Lho's six counties, requests the public to inform on "criminals" who "threaten the social stability of Gan Lho".Gan Lho Prefecture is in Amdo region, northeastern Tibet.Listed ‘criminal' activities include: "The corruption of the public with ideas of the splitting of the nation, through speech and the distribution of written information, cartoons, home-made materials and videos", "The incitement of the public to illegal activities through websites, e-mails and audio files," and "all acts of destruction of ethnic unity through websites and sms texts."The poster states that all of these and other activities "will be met with violent beating/torture by the PSB (Public Security Bureau).
The poster translation is reproduced below:
[Stamp of Gannan Police Station - Chinese language]
Notice: Gan Lho Public Security Bureau (PSB) requests the public to inform on criminals who threaten the social stability of Gan Lho
Protect social and political stability in Gan Lho Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture and quickly establish a harmonious Gah Lho! Establish a better economic environment for investment! Be vigilant of and crack down on criminals who threaten Gan Lho's social stability! Directly inform on the nests of criminals!
The following points have been authorized by the security department:
I) Damage to national security, the destabilization of society, the destruction of ethnic unity.
All the following actions will be met with violent beating/torture by the PSB:
1) The disturbance of relations between ethnic groups, public agitation between ethnic groups, the destruction of national unity.
2) The corruption of the public with ideas of the splitting of the nation, through speech and the distribution of written information,cartoons, home-made materials, videos, etc - all acts destructive to social discipline and stability.
3) The membership, promotion of, or the making of donations to illegal organizations - all of which harm national security and destabilize society.
4) The incitement of the public to illegal activities through websites, e-mails and audio files, all acts of destruction of ethnic unity through websites and sms texts, and other major criminal actions against the security of society.
5) The engagement in criminal activities such as grievous bodily harm, destruction of property, arson and looting, etc, and the coercion of others into criminal acts that damage the security of society.
II) Any member of the public who informs the police about the above criminal acts or gives the police information on the perpetrators will be guaranteed personal protection by PSB officers, personal confidentiality, and a reward of 5,000 Chinese Yuan.
III) This directive is to be applied with immediate effect. 0941 - 669 6271, 6696272